Sachin Tendulkar – The name needs no introduction. If you have watched the presentation ceremony of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 finals, you would admit it. The crowd threw out a louder applause when Sachin’s name was called than any other person’s name. This cricket legend turns 42 today (April 24, 2015) and Veg Momos team wishes him a very Happy Birthday.
“I’ll be going to bed having nightmares of Sachin just running down the wicket and belting me back over the head for six. He was unstoppable. I don’t think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player “- Shane Warne
There are more quotes to add to this, and Sachin Tendulkar is fondly known as the undisputed God of Cricket internationally. But here are the top 10 lesser known facts about Sachin Tendulkar that you should definitely read.
1. Sachin Tendulkar was not a soft-spoken student when he was in school. He was a big bully. He used to sleep with his cricket sports gear on.
2. He also had long hair and tied a band around it. Sachin Tendulkar did this to imitate John McEnroe. His friends also applauded him likewise.
3. During his debut test against Pakistan, Sachin Tendulkar wore the pads that were gifted to him by Sunil Gavaskar.
4. The Little Master is a lover of music. Sachin Tendulkar loves listening to Dire Straits (a rock band) and also to Kishore Kumar’s music.
5. When Sachin Tendulkar was practicing cricket at Shardashram, his coach, Ramakant Achrekar, was surprised by his batting skills. The coach offered a one rupee coin as a prize to any of the bowlers who could take him down. If they don’t, Sachin would get the coin. He has most of those coins safely preserved with him now.
6. Sachin Tendulkar was named after Sachin Dev Burman, a great music director. That explains his interest towards music.
7. The Master Blaster is also a lover of cars. His first car was a Maruti 800, which he still owns. He also had a Ferrari 360 M, which he sold to get a Nissan GT-R. He also owns two BMWs, 2 Mercedes Benz Sedans, and also a Porsche Boxter worth 2.5 Crores.
8. When he was only 14, Sachin Tendulkar was a ball boy during the India Vs Zimbabwe match at the 1987 World Cup. This took place at the Wankhede stadium and he has special significance to it.
9. Sachin Tendulkar also wanted to become a fast bowler. He tried to pursue this dream by joining at the MRF Pace Academy. But his coach Dennis Lillee intervened and asked him to concentrate on his batting alone.
10. During the 1996 ICC Cricket world cup, Sachin Tendulkar did not have a bat contract. But he was the highest run scorer, and later on, he was signed up by MRF.
These are some of the lesser known facts about Sachin Tendulkar – the God of Cricket. This is our tribute to him on his 42nd birthday. Once again, Veg Momos wishes Sachin Tendulkar a very very Happy Birthday!